New ask Hacker News story: Ask HN: Hypothesis: Cellular providers are deprioritizing voice calls

Ask HN: Hypothesis: Cellular providers are deprioritizing voice calls
5 by tkdb | 6 comments on Hacker News.
I switched from Verizon to T-Mobile, specifically because there were too many silent missed calls. Silent meaning my device never showed I had a missed call. This was a pattern across more than a year, spanning multiple devices (all iphones). It happens on both wifi and cellular. It happens with wifi calling enabled and disabled. It happens with people I call every day, in my address book, as well as new contacts (say someone I met who called to follow up). I called support, searched online, reset network settings multiple times at different points months apart. After being on T-Mobile for about a year, the degraded service is about the same as Verizon. Every week, more than once, people call me, my phone never rings, and I never see a missed call on my device. It happens at home, at work, on work trips in different states. I still get missed calls regularly and my device shows I missed the call. It seems like a certain % of callers get my VM, but I never know the call attempt happened. The missed calls never appear later on my phone (like a late VM or text deliver, coming minutes or sometimes hours after it was sent). Hypothesis: A growing number of cellular subscribers don't care enough or use voice calls as much, so (regardless of motive/feelings) cellular providers have found they can simply reduce quality without losing customers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How can Utilize Call Center Outsourcing for Increase your Business Income well?

New ask Hacker News story: Roblox parental controls are a dystopian security disaster