New ask Hacker News story: Ask HN: Is CAPTCHA even needed anymore?

Ask HN: Is CAPTCHA even needed anymore?
4 by dusted | 1 comments on Hacker News.
I'm running a few small sites with various forms for submitting information for my perusal. They are used by vistors to my sites, and I've done a bit behind the scenes to guard against various types of attacks, such as length limits, rate limits and a bit other stuff. But one thing I've not put there, is CAPTCHA.. On one of the forms, I politely ask that the sender include todays date somewhere in the text, which I then validate to be within +/- 25 hours of the server time.. In other places, I've not even done that and.. I'm not getting spams, I'm not getting robot messages or massive abuse.. Did the scammers and spammers realize that stuffing every input field on the web with commercial links and javascript exploits dosen't actually work ? Back in the day, I remember having to jump through several hoops to avoid automated spams and angry teenagers trying to flood my inboxes.. How's your experience today versus the past ?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New ask Hacker News story: Tell HN: Equifax free credit report dark patterns

New ask Hacker News story: Ask HN: Why can't the US government run their own social media?