New ask Hacker News story: Ask HN: How do you sync ongoing browser work between desktop and laptop?

Ask HN: How do you sync ongoing browser work between desktop and laptop?
5 by wtcactus | 9 comments on Hacker News.
For a long time now, I have both a Work Desktop and a Work/Personal Laptop (both are company issued, but I have full control over both of them). The laptop runs macOS, the Desktop runs Linux (I can install whatever). Also, I'm mostly doing DevOps these days. When it comes to code, I just do the normal approach of using a git branch, and most of the time I just SSH into the Desktop and run it from there. So, that pain point is solved. My biggest, always ongoing problem, is to sync what I'm doing/researching in the browser. The best workflow I've found, is to have a mix of open tabs and spaces sync automatically. But it's a difficult setup to come by. Let me explain. Before, I used to use a Chrome (now Firefox as well) plugin, named workona [1]. This was great if it worked properly all the times. But it doesn't, it's quite buggy. Then, Edge added workspaces and tab syncing and, well, it works great... but I really dislike Edge. Starting by the CTRL-TAB shortcut that simply doesn't work as intended (I know there are some hacks around it, but they are hacks, and don't work as well as expected). Then Arc Browser [2] came along and also has workspaces and sync. Arc is great, I really like it, but it doesn't work on Linux. So, unless I use Edge (which I prefer not to), or workona (which is buggy), this approach is not working. But surely, you say, this can't be that complicated. A lot of people should do something similar and don't need these fancy browser setups. Well, how exactly do you do it, then? I would really like to have some suggestions here. Just another thing. Firefox really isn't an option. I'm past struggling with it draining my battery on macOS - no matter how much the devs and users assure me that's not the case and all works great now. [1] https://workona.com/ [2] https://arc.net/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New ask Hacker News story: Brother Printers Sending Ink Data to Amazon?

New ask Hacker News story: Tell HN: Equifax free credit report dark patterns