New ask Hacker News story: Does Sundar Pichai/Search team know how bad Google search is?

Does Sundar Pichai/Search team know how bad Google search is?
12 by HEGalloway | 7 comments on Hacker News.
I've been increasingly getting annoyed at Google search results. I understand this is an old topic and quite a hot one. Many people feel the same about this. But I can't seem to wrap my head around why isn't Google doing anything. They did push an update a couple of months ago, but it didn't seem to make a dent. Results are still absolute crap, full off SEO junk. If some of you say they're focusing on "revenue" and "ads" then I don't think that is it. The reason I don't agree with it is due to being a short-term focus. If your search results are bad, people will start trusting you less over time and look for answers on platforms like Reddit or other search engines, therefore you can't show them relevant ads and you lose money over the long term. Let's be honest, google is not a search company. They're an ad company and their current goal is not to organize the world's information but to pick the best ad for the user. Ads are bad we all know that, I get it but they also pay the bills and we can't live in an ideal world. So ads are fine, I'm not mad at ads. Heck, if ads are relevant to me I'm cool with it. In my opinion, search results and ads are not mutually exclusive, they can't and shouldn't live without each other. Both need the other to survive. But I think the management at Google has forgotten that. They're trying to optimize for ad revenue, they think it's working. And it is, companies pay tons to rank their content. But I think it'll all crash and burn eventually as they realize their stuff isn't shown in the SERPs because people now append "Reddit". Or maybe I'm just completely flat-out wrong but I can be sure about one thing - their results are going to get worse if they don't switch to a user/product-focused mindset. Also, the CEO sucks. He's not a tinkerer, he's a bureaucrat. He's like a shitty caretaker that doesn't care about the users or the product. Sorry for the rant, I'm just concerned.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New ask Hacker News story: Brother Printers Sending Ink Data to Amazon?

New ask Hacker News story: Tell HN: Equifax free credit report dark patterns