New ask Hacker News story: Ask HN: To do or not to do – providing passport number for domain name?

Ask HN: To do or not to do – providing passport number for domain name?
2 by another_1 | 1 comments on Hacker News.
Hello all! Long time lurker, first time poster. I would like to copy Naval Ravikant's website domain name (nav.al), because my first name also ends with "al". However, in order to buy the Albanian domain name (.al) from Marcaria.com, the "domain authority requires that you provide additional information about the owner of the domain: Passport Number or Personal ID". I am in the US and have never had to do this for work or personal domains I purchased from Google Domains, so I am uncomfortable with providing my passport number. Has anyone done this before? Can someone provide context to this situation, so I can better understand the verification request? Thanks!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New ask Hacker News story: Brother Printers Sending Ink Data to Amazon?

New ask Hacker News story: Tell HN: Equifax free credit report dark patterns