New ask Hacker News story: Ask HN: Why are ads the major stream of revenue in any kind of digital media?

Ask HN: Why are ads the major stream of revenue in any kind of digital media?
3 by astennumero | 6 comments on Hacker News.
Lately I've come to the realisation that practically all digital content that's out there depends on ad revenue as a major source of revenue. I feel like we've absolutely messed up the entire digital ecosystem with ads. Why aren't there other sustainable revenue models? What caused this in the first place? What can we do to make this better? Do ads actually work? Personally I rarely buy/subscribe to stuff I see on an ad. I keep dreaming of an internet that doesn't run on ad. I just can't stop thinking about how exciting that would be. No ads. No sponsorship. What do you have to say?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New ask Hacker News story: Brother Printers Sending Ink Data to Amazon?

New ask Hacker News story: Tell HN: Equifax free credit report dark patterns