New ask Hacker News story: Ask HN: How to find a new job when I'm not good at networking?

Ask HN: How to find a new job when I'm not good at networking?
5 by rrgok | 1 comments on Hacker News.
I'm not a genius, nor do I believe I'm the absolute best at what I do. It took me 30 years to realize that, no matter how good I am, networking often determines success. I'm in a career I don't enjoy, unable to move up or change, while others get jobs through connections. About 80% of my colleagues were hired this way, while a few of us got in by luck. Networking seems to drive career advancement. I'm naturally a loner and find it hard to feign interest in others' lives. I prefer spending time alone and struggle to genuinely connect with people. Emotional intimacy drains me, and I dread future interactions, even though I know this is normal. While I'm okay being alone, I feel that relationships are crucial for progress after a certain point. I even broke up with my partner because I can't handle constant companionship. It was so draining that I stopped enjoying sexual intimacy. I'm fine without a partner; I don't want to subject anyone to my solitude. However, I want to change careers, and I know connections are vital. I'm feeling stuck and unsure how to move forward. It seems the two crucial factor (luck and networking) are outside my influence.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New ask Hacker News story: Brother Printers Sending Ink Data to Amazon?

New ask Hacker News story: Tell HN: Equifax free credit report dark patterns