New ask Hacker News story: Brother Printers Sending Ink Data to Amazon?

Brother Printers Sending Ink Data to Amazon?
29 by Ajay-p | 13 comments on Hacker News.
A most unusual thing. Every once in a while I get an email from Amazon that it's time to re-order Brother ink. I always delete these because I rarely print, but also figure it's just Amazon reminding me to buy something. Today I decided to opt out/unsubscribe once and for all. Instead I see this at the bottom of the email: "Click here to view or manage settings, including the option to opt out if you are already using another replenishment service. This took me to https://ift.tt/nMGIXiy "The data shown is based on estimated consumption reported by smart devices and orders you place through Amazon." Here it had a link to "Consumption history" which upon clicking showed me the ink levels of my Brother printer for the past two weeks . Date and time. WTF?! It is not apparent that I can disable this function. Can anyone else duplicate? Update : This is part of Alexa it seems, and folded in to the Dash replenishment protocol; note I have never had a Dash button. Amazon's instructions for this were not very helpful. https://ift.tt/0YEB5i9 Some digging revealed a Brother help document: https://ift.tt/J89qgfm This bothers me quite a lot. I never authorized, opted in, or gave either device permission to connect, let alone Amazon to monitor and nag me about it! Model: Brother MFC-J485DW Purchased from: Best Buy, an American retailer, after July of 2019. Firmware: N1901041316

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New ask Hacker News story: Ask HN: Share your favorite examples of shell script abuse